Sat, 08 Aug 2020

De La Hoya: Canelo might fight in SoCal desert

Field Level Media
15 Jul 2020, 13:19 GMT+10

Canelo Alvarez's next fight might occur in the Southern California desert, his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Oscar De La Hoya, told the Palm Springs Desert Sun on Tuesday.

Alvarez, who holds world middleweight and light heavyweight championship belts, could fight at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. Regardless of where the 29-year-old Mexican star next competes, fans are unlikely to be present due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"You know, a venue like Fantasy Springs is very possible," De La Hoya told the Desert Sun. "It's something we've discussed internally. ...

"There would be a lot of excitement. I always go back to relationships and Fantasy Springs has been an amazing partner. We love the venue and it's convenient. The fact that the gate is irrelevant, it makes all the sense in the world."

Without having to worry about ticket sales and accommodating fans, De La Hoya said he also has thought about staging fights in front of Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills of South Dakota or on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay.

"I'm very proud of having that relationship and staging some of our best fights at Fantasy Springs," De La Hoya said. "I mean, they've done a terrific job as being a partner and we love staging fights there.

"So, if our options are Mount Rushmore and Alcatraz and Fantasy Springs, I wouldn't mind going to Fantasy Springs because it would be the most convenient for us because of our partnership with the casino."

Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 knockouts) took his lone career defeat against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2013. Since then, he is 11-0-1, drawing with Kazakhstan's Gennady Golovkin in 2017 before winning the rematch with Golovkin the following year.

Alvarez, who has been the champion in four weight divisions, most recently fought in November. He earned the WBO light heavyweight title by stopping Russia's Sergey Kovalev in the 11th round at Las Vegas.

Golden Boy will host a closed-doors fight card at Fantasy Springs on July 24. Vergil Ortiz Jr. (15-0, 15 KOs) will face Canada's Samuel Vargas (31-5-2) in a welterweight bout that will stream on DAZN.

--Field Level Media

More Central Asia News

Access More

Sign up for Tajikistan News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!